Home Remedies for Summer Sickness and Pain
In the summer months most families are out and about, enjoying the beauty of nature on a vacation or in their own backyards. As wonderful and relaxing as it is to explore the outdoors, there are certain ailments and maladies that summer also offers. We do not want to be forced to stay indoors all the time just to remain healthy and safe. Hiding behind closed doors would not be healthy for our kids anyway. Instead we need to watch over our children for their well-being but allow them to play in the sun and swim, camp and be with friends as much as possible.
There are many safe and easy home remedies to use when you or your child do have a problem physically in the summer time months. Here are a few to keep in mind:
• Heat Stroke – Symptoms are: Faintness, headaches, loss of consciousness. Do: Get head out of sun, drinks lots of water and apply cool water to skin. Drink an isotonic drink with sugar and salt to help restore blood levels of each.
• Bee Stings – Do: rub calendula flower or plaintain leaf onto the site of the sting to relive pain, also can apply a fresh slice of onion or garlic.
• Sunburn - Do: Apply vitamin E to soothe the skin, also a cool cucumber slice will make a big difference. Aloe is a well-known healing plant that will speed the healing process.
• Mosquito Bites - Do: Immediately after being bitten apply table salt that has been moistened a bit with saliva. A paste of meat tenderizer or a spot of toothpaste will help stop the itching.
• Car Sickness - Do: Vanilla extract added to 2 tablespoons of warm water and honey is a great treatment for a nervous stomach or carsickness.
• Poison Oak or Poison Ivy – Do: Oatmeal, cooked and cooled makes a great poultice in a muslin cloth and placed on the rash area.
• Skin Burns – Do: Honey is a natural anti-inflammatory antibiotic that can be applied to burns as a cooling and healing ointment. Cover with gauze or band-aid.
• Itchy Bug Bites – Do: make a paste with 1 teaspoon of salt and a few drops of water, apply to the bite and cover for 30 minutes.
• Summer Cold – Do: Mince a raw clove of garlic and mix with 1/3 cup of water or add to mashed potatoes. There are also garlic tablets that can be purchased.