There are many safe and easy home remedies to use when you or your child do have a problem physically in the summer time months. Here are a few to keep in mind:
• Heat Stroke – Symptoms are: Faintness, headaches, loss of consciousness. Do: Get head out of sun, drinks lots of water and apply cool water to skin. Drink an isotonic drink with sugar and salt to help restore blood levels of each.
• Bee Stings – Do: rub calendula flower or plaintain leaf onto the site of the sting to relive pain, also can apply a fresh slice of onion or garlic.
• Sunburn – Do: Apply vitamin E to soothe the skin, also a cool cucumber slice will make a big difference. Aloe is a well-known healing plant that will speed the healing process.
• Mosquito Bites – Do: Immediately after being bitten apply table salt that has been moistened a bit with saliva. A paste of meat tenderizer or a spot of toothpaste will help stop the itching.
• Car Sickness – Do: Vanilla extract added to 2 tablespoons of warm water and honey is a great treatment for a nervous stomach or carsickness.
• Poison Oak or Poison Ivy – Do: Oatmeal, cooked and cooled makes a great poultice in a muslin cloth and placed on the rash area.
• Skin Burns – Do: Honey is a natural anti-inflammatory antibiotic that can be applied to burns as a cooling and healing ointment. Cover with gauze or band-aid.
• Itchy Bug Bites – Do: make a paste with 1 teaspoon of salt and a few drops of water, apply to the bite and cover for 30 minutes.
• Summer Cold – Do: Mince a raw clove of garlic and mix with 1/3 cup of water or add to mashed potatoes. There are also garlic tablets that can be purchased.